Today I have a SUPER fun project for tweens and teens, inspired by my very own tween daughter (who BEGGED me to do this project with her!).
I should mention upfront that this project was done by my then-11 year old, who LOVES to cook and has years of experience in the kitchen. Specifically, she knows how to use a stove safely without burning herself. But this project still requires adult supervision, especially because you will be using open alcohol-based flavor extracts near an open flame (electric stoves are safer in this instance for obvious reasons).
What You Need to Make Crayon Based Homemade Lip Gloss
- Coconut oil
- Crayola crayons
- Flavor extracts (found in the spices section of the grocery store, like vanilla, lemon, etc.) or food grade essential oils
- A glass mason jar for melting
- Containers (I used these from Amazon, they were PERFECT for this project)
I’ve created a video to show you how to melt and make this lip gloss, but here’s the instructions written out. These amounts will fill two of the small containers as seen in the video and linked above:
- Put about 1 inch of water into a pan, and place an empty jar into the pan while the water is still cold (do NOT put a cold jar into boiling water, it can break instantly!!)
- Bring the water to a boil
- Add 1 tablespoon of coconut oil to the jar, stir until it melts
- Add 1/2 of one peeled Crayola crayon in the color of your choice, stir until it melts
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of flavor extract, stir briefly
- Pour into lip gloss containers (use a pot holder!!)
- Let cool completely!
*I specifically recommend Crayola crayons for this project because it’s a brand that I trust to not put lead or other poisonous crap into their crayons. I don’t trust the generic made in China stuff you can find at the Dollar Store. Crayola is not a sponsor of this post.