Here’s a great back to school craft that will get you organized! This pencil holder is adorable and you’ll always have a special spot for all your writing utensils. It’s also a clever play on words – it’s a pencil holder made of pencils! What I like most about this craft project is that it uses recycled materials and other things you probably already have around the house. Shopping for back to school is almost as expensive as holiday shopping – so any project that we can do at this time of year with free materials goes to the top of my list of things to do!
What’s you’ll need to make this back to school pencil holder:
- Black, yellow and light pink acrylic paint
- Sponge or brush
- Can or holder (we used a tea tin from The Republic of Tea)
- Popsicle sticks that fit your desired holder (we used the tongue depressor size and 12 fit *perfectly* around our tin)
- Paper towels or newspaper (to prevent paint messes)
- Hot glue gun
How to make this cool organizing craft:
- Lay out a few layers of paper towels or newspaper where you are going to use the paint so you can protect your table/desk.
- On one end, paint all sticks black on one end and pink on the other. Let dry.
- Paint the body of the pencil yellow and leave a short space unpainted between yellow and black to mimic how the wood appears on a sharpened pencil. Let Dry.
- Repeat painting process on other side.
- Using a hot glue gun, glue the sticks straight and vertical to your holder, one at a time. Be quick! Hot glue dries quickly.
- Place your pencils and pens into the holder on your desk or homework area, so that any time you need to work on an assignment, you don’t have to ask a parent where to find a pencil!