It’s summer time and that means that those of us with long hair need to get it OFF of our necks on hot days! Here’s a fun craft making felt flowers into hair chopsticks – though you can use this same tutorial and make felt flower pencil toppers, pen toppers, or even a whole bouquet of felt flowers as a gift for Mother’s Day!
What You Need to Make Felt Flower Hair Sticks
All you need is a circle of felt approximately 4″ inches in diameter, a tiny strip of green felt about .25″ inches by 1.5 inches, and a green chopstick. Also, a hot glue gun works best on this craft, so make sure you use a low temp gun and have adult supervision for younger children. I got mine at the dollar store many years ago, and I’m not sure if they still have them around (you’ll have more luck if it’s spring time, they were a seasonal item). But green chopsticks are also available on Amazon – or if you still can’t find them, simply paint a wooden chopstick green!
The directions are clear in our latest video from our YouTube channel (please subscribe!!). But here’s how it works:
- Cut the felt circle in a spiral going from the outside to the inside. It doesn’t need to be even or perfect by any means. In fact, if it’s a little uneven, it makes the flower look a little more realistic. You’ll have a strip of felt fabric when you are done.
- Hot glue the end of the strip to the end of the chopstick. You need to use the narrow end that was originally the outside of the circle. The inside of the circle needs to be the last part you attach to the chopstick stem.
- Twirl it around so that the felt looks like rose petals – it’s super clear in the video, though kind of hard to describe with words!
- Glue the end of the felt that was the center of the felt circle to the bottom of the flower and also onto the chopstick.
- Wrap the base of the flower with the green strip of felt, gluing both ends as shown.
- Twist your hair around into a bun and stick the chopstick in your hair to keep it all in place!